.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

ON OUR FACES- an ongoing worship discussion

"The god's we worship write their names on our faces, be sure of that. And a man will worship something-have no doubt of that, either. He may think that his tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of his heart- but it will out. That which dominates will determine his life and character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

Refuse to accept the status quo. I challenge everything. It is important to me that I understand why I do what I do and I'll challenge everyone else too because that is how I learn. Christ-follower, student, teacher, artist, musician, mother, wife, daughter, friend, home-schooler, doula, home-birther, knitter, abuse survivor, advocate of women, children, families and peace, I value relationships more than anything in this life. There is room for my life for my passions for birth, music, lit., nature, art, dance, knitting, cooking, Scripture, film, theology, philosophy, writing, and loving my family. I know I don't have all the answers and I'm willing to listen, I don't argue for the sake of arguing or to win but I am passionate and opinionated while being open to change. Wrap all that up and then some and serve it with a cup of coffee, a glass of wine and some chocolate and that's a little bit of who I am. Just an ordinary woman in my every day rebellious ways.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

In the midst of Chaos

"It's so great to see you're comfortable in the midst of the chaos" my student commented as he was standing at our front door about to leave.

I took a moment and looked around, the house was a mess, of course, but it was actually quiet as Jeremy had just gotten the girls to bed so it hardly seemed chaotic to me. Sure, the table is half covered in craft projects and miscellaneous stuff, the side table is covered in a lovely exotic looking throw with a framed print of the Eiffel Tower on it but has a stack of photos all over it hiding the Eiffel Tower picture; the desk- actually, you can see parts of the desk; the coffee table has games, beads, clothes, papers and a box of crayons on it; the couch has an Easter hat, a pair of shoes and a couple of books; all the pillows are on the floor as "jumping cushions;" the arm chair has foam number stickers stuck all over it and you know if you sat down you'd stand up with various variables all over your rear; there is an odd unidentified sticky substance all over the floor by the door; a jumbled mess of shoes protrudes from under the bench by the front door that is loaded with a random collection of items to be either returned or kept and stored some place safe and pieces of Tae Kwon Do uniforms. But still, this hardly seems chaotic to me.

"Well..." was the only intelligent thing I could think of to say.

"No really, you let people into your home when it is a disaster area and it doesn't seem to phase you. My wife would be freaking out. Its just nice to see you've come to terms with the chaos" he says with a warm and comforting smile, his tone touched with something that could either be awe, pity, or bewilderment.

I choke back a snort and smile sweetly.

"I just pick my battles, what's really important to me. The girls are my priority, not a clean house and nice things. I'll clean up when the kids are gone and buy nice furniture then."

"See, that's what I mean. I think that's great. My ex would never have stood for that."

We chat a little more as I walk him out and remind him of what we had worked on that evening.

I didn't bother to tell him that I'm hoping to have learned how to really keep a clean house by the time the girls are gone because when they leave I will have run out of excuses!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home