.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

ON OUR FACES- an ongoing worship discussion

"The god's we worship write their names on our faces, be sure of that. And a man will worship something-have no doubt of that, either. He may think that his tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of his heart- but it will out. That which dominates will determine his life and character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

Refuse to accept the status quo. I challenge everything. It is important to me that I understand why I do what I do and I'll challenge everyone else too because that is how I learn. Christ-follower, student, teacher, artist, musician, mother, wife, daughter, friend, home-schooler, doula, home-birther, knitter, abuse survivor, advocate of women, children, families and peace, I value relationships more than anything in this life. There is room for my life for my passions for birth, music, lit., nature, art, dance, knitting, cooking, Scripture, film, theology, philosophy, writing, and loving my family. I know I don't have all the answers and I'm willing to listen, I don't argue for the sake of arguing or to win but I am passionate and opinionated while being open to change. Wrap all that up and then some and serve it with a cup of coffee, a glass of wine and some chocolate and that's a little bit of who I am. Just an ordinary woman in my every day rebellious ways.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

*Sigh*

by Jessica



WORSHIP IS NOT MUSIC! Why does this drive me crazy? I sat in a meeting once leading a group in a discussion of the essentials of worship based on Scripture and we spent about 30 minutes debating why music is not an essential of worship but rather a tool and one of many at that. Often I hear a worship gathering (even more often a church) described primarily by it's musical style rather than the content and each time I'm struggle to pay attention to the speaker because I'm arguing in my head with the person that the musical style doesn't define any church or worship gathering as it's just one small piece of the pie. *Sigh* Worship is not music. End rant... for now.


On our family blog was recently asked how I would convince someone that had walked away from the faith to turn back to Christ in one blog post. Before I post my answer to anonymous' question, I'd like to hear what others would say, help me out and share your thoughts.

Oh, and I updated the article of the week link finally.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy Ehle said...

Since you're in the worship "profession" (if I dare call it that), I thought I'd pass on some thoughts I have on the topic. You can read the fuller version at my own blog (http://randehle.blogspot.com - click on the "Worship" post - go figure!); here's the teaser version:

For the past 10+ years I have been trying to figure out what worship is. I've come to conclude with certainty that it is not limited to singing and praying, though it feels like that in some churches. Here, instead, is my working definition:

Worship is a response to an encounter with God.

Monday, March 13, 2006 11:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home