.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

ON OUR FACES- an ongoing worship discussion

"The god's we worship write their names on our faces, be sure of that. And a man will worship something-have no doubt of that, either. He may think that his tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of his heart- but it will out. That which dominates will determine his life and character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

Refuse to accept the status quo. I challenge everything. It is important to me that I understand why I do what I do and I'll challenge everyone else too because that is how I learn. Christ-follower, student, teacher, artist, musician, mother, wife, daughter, friend, home-schooler, doula, home-birther, knitter, abuse survivor, advocate of women, children, families and peace, I value relationships more than anything in this life. There is room for my life for my passions for birth, music, lit., nature, art, dance, knitting, cooking, Scripture, film, theology, philosophy, writing, and loving my family. I know I don't have all the answers and I'm willing to listen, I don't argue for the sake of arguing or to win but I am passionate and opinionated while being open to change. Wrap all that up and then some and serve it with a cup of coffee, a glass of wine and some chocolate and that's a little bit of who I am. Just an ordinary woman in my every day rebellious ways.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

He's "big enough"

by Jessica


Broken heart I try to hide
I need You to see me
Sweep away the shards of pain
Your beauty in me revealing



I'm afraid You won't hear me when I call
my God, my Salvation
Will You be near me when I fall?
my God, my Salvation
And if Your praises cease on my lips
Will you still call me Your own?



My God, why have You forsaken me?
Hear my cry I pray!
My God, as surely as You give
You have taken away
my God, my Salvation





A true heart to You I bring
You vanquished all pretending
Creator King of all of me
From this pain bring beauty freeing



I'm afraid You won't hear me when I call
my God, my Salvation
Will You be near me when I fall?
my God, my Salvation
And if Your praises cease on my lips
Will you still call me Your own?



My God, why have You forsaken me?
Hear my cry I pray!
My God, as surely as You give
You have taken away
my God, my Salvation



Yesterday, today and tomorrow
You are still the same
In the midst of the joy
Or the agonizing pain





Friday evenings are family night at our house and tomorrow night our family is staying at a local mission-turned shelter to give the operators there a break and a chance to be home with their family for an evening. We feel blessed to get to spend some time with the evacuees, it's going to be a great family night we can hardly wait. The above lyrics came out of a time of frustration in my personal life and are a little bit of Psalm 25, and Job 1 combined with a desire for authenticity in my worship. Thoughts such as those above are ones we are trying to keep in mind as we serve and pray for the evacuees and trying to stay away from telling them how to feel as they go through this. It's ok, God can handle it and can even be honored as we struggle with pain. I am glad He's "big enough."

Copyright 2005

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I really miss hearing all of your new songs. I still get some of them stuck in my head sometimes.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 2:36:00 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

wow, thanks. we miss sharing our new songs with you guys too. still thinking about trying to get published... just seems like a daunting task. talk to you soon!

Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:57:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Awww c'mon now! I agree with you about Warren's "papal" status, but I'm not sure whether he deserves to be the straw man.

Once you're published you're effectively owned by the publisher. Rick Warren has become a brand, and the populace has become enthusiastic consumers of that brand.

Before "The Purpose-Driven Life" we had a bunch of "Prayer of Jabez" folks. Rick Warren became the Evangelical Pope, just like the Prayer of Jabez became the Evangelical Rosary. They're both examples of good intentions that were affected by hype, secular media and popular demand.

Respectfully,

Scott

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 3:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home