.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

ON OUR FACES- an ongoing worship discussion

"The god's we worship write their names on our faces, be sure of that. And a man will worship something-have no doubt of that, either. He may think that his tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of his heart- but it will out. That which dominates will determine his life and character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

Refuse to accept the status quo. I challenge everything. It is important to me that I understand why I do what I do and I'll challenge everyone else too because that is how I learn. Christ-follower, student, teacher, artist, musician, mother, wife, daughter, friend, home-schooler, doula, home-birther, knitter, abuse survivor, advocate of women, children, families and peace, I value relationships more than anything in this life. There is room for my life for my passions for birth, music, lit., nature, art, dance, knitting, cooking, Scripture, film, theology, philosophy, writing, and loving my family. I know I don't have all the answers and I'm willing to listen, I don't argue for the sake of arguing or to win but I am passionate and opinionated while being open to change. Wrap all that up and then some and serve it with a cup of coffee, a glass of wine and some chocolate and that's a little bit of who I am. Just an ordinary woman in my every day rebellious ways.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Evangelical Pope

by Jessica


So I'm a little frustrated. Rick Warren was on Good Morning America today speaking on behalf of all pastors, at least evangelical ones, and I was struck with the notion that Rick Warren is kind of perceived as the pope of evangelicalism. Jeremy had the same thought before I even verbalized it. Warren came to Houston yesterday to meet with pastors to tell them how to minister to the evacuees of Katrina particularly in understanding that they're going to need long term help not just emergency assistance. I think all of Houston has realized this but hey, a reminder from a guy from a wealthy California suburban megachurch can't hurt. Sorry, sorry, a little bit of sarcasm coming through there. Warren has had an impact on my life and the ministry I'm called to but there is something about all the "purpose-driven" propaganda I'm having a hard time with. Maybe it's the trademark. But honestly, I've tried to "get it" and I just don't.

In the August 22 issue of TIME Magazine there was an article titled: Warren of Rwanda- The best-selling megapastor wants to turn the genocide site into the first "purpose-driven nation." I'm glad he's helping Rwanda, there's not been enough help there as it is but why does it somehow seem... wrong. Not the help, help is good but that it's somehow about Warren himself, about his "purpose-driven" trademark? I don't really believe that's his intention or at least not his primary one, but it is a great marketing strategy. I'm not sure I understand what his goal is in this either. Does having the first "purpose-driven" nation mean the same thing as having a Christian nation? Is that even what we should be going for? In the entire article there isn't one mention of sharing the Gospel, of course, this is TIME we're talking about, but still, shouldn't that be a verbalized part of Warren's plan- even to the general public? I guess in the end what I'm asking is does this have to be some kind of "purpose-driven" campaign for the evangelical church to finally get involved? There have been independent mission organizations and relief efforts going on there for a long time and ignored by at least the American evangelical church, why suddenly this?


There's been some great ministry through Warren, his church, and his books/programs, I don't want to devalue that at all. I just need to say that whether you call it "purpose-driven," "being Jesus with skin on," "a social Gospel," or "a lifestyle of worship," we are called to serve and love others as Christ- no trademark required. For me, my favorite images from the Katrina aftermath weren't those of President Bush, Rick Warren or any other recognizable figure participating in photo ops with the storm evacuees but those of regular people, small churches, unknown pastors, and neighborhoods serving as unto Christ. That's awesome.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what...Warren was worried that the church in Houston would know how to serve and care for thousands and thousands of Louisiana evacuees..man thank God for Warren..without him THE CHURCH would cease to exist!! sheesh!

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:11:00 PM  
Blogger Alan E. Kurschner said...

Would you know where I could find a transcript of Warren being on Good morning America September 7? I found one place but it costs $30. Any ideas? If so, my email is kurschae@yahoo.com

Thanks:)
Alan

Friday, September 09, 2005 10:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home