.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

ON OUR FACES- an ongoing worship discussion

"The god's we worship write their names on our faces, be sure of that. And a man will worship something-have no doubt of that, either. He may think that his tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of his heart- but it will out. That which dominates will determine his life and character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

Refuse to accept the status quo. I challenge everything. It is important to me that I understand why I do what I do and I'll challenge everyone else too because that is how I learn. Christ-follower, student, teacher, artist, musician, mother, wife, daughter, friend, home-schooler, doula, home-birther, knitter, abuse survivor, advocate of women, children, families and peace, I value relationships more than anything in this life. There is room for my life for my passions for birth, music, lit., nature, art, dance, knitting, cooking, Scripture, film, theology, philosophy, writing, and loving my family. I know I don't have all the answers and I'm willing to listen, I don't argue for the sake of arguing or to win but I am passionate and opinionated while being open to change. Wrap all that up and then some and serve it with a cup of coffee, a glass of wine and some chocolate and that's a little bit of who I am. Just an ordinary woman in my every day rebellious ways.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Barney, Big Bird, Bob the Tomato and Jesus

by Jessica

Yesterday Jeremy and I were worshiping at a church without our girls (we were out of state for the weekend) and while the worship time was great and the message was really great (you’ll hear more about that one later, it reminded me again of wanting to blog on worship in the face of pain- I got back to work on that on the plane coming home last night but it’s going to have to wait as it’s turning into a whole message or article) there were two other things I noticed about the gathering. One was obvious, the lack of our children and the strange feeling that gave me and the other was the row in front of us. There, in the row in front of us yesterday morning we saw something very special. I don’t know if the people realized they were living out Christ’s commands to let the little children come to Him but they were. A young child was in this row and here’s the cool part: I couldn’t tell you who his mother or father was. Everyone around took part in involving that child in the worship. The thing that stood out to me was that the parents were not alone and, I learned latter, while the grandparents were there as well there were people helping that had not blood relation to the child. In helping with the child in the worship gathering the people in the church sent a strong message to those parents and even to me: we value you and your children as God does and though we may not be family we are in Christ and we’re in this together. You should know, it wasn’t distracting, I don’t know if anyone else even noticed maybe because this is just what they do and it’s a part of the culture there or because it really wasn’t distracting and I was given a glimpse into this beautiful picture because it’s been a subject near to my heart lately.



Our very good friends, Tom and Laura understand this. This couple love God, love to worship, love to study His Word and love children and want to help teach them to do the same. They have exemplified in so many ways what this can look like and in doing so have taught Jeremy and I a lot about love. Laura is a 1-3 grade Montessori teacher and understands the way children learn (I often call her for advice!) and has this unbelievable nack of getting a child to quietly interact in a way that suits their learning without being too much of a distraction to those around them. The gentleness and patience this couple shows toward children (our children have often sat with them when Jeremy and I were leading worship- and usually they’d rather stay with Tom and Laura during the message because of their understanding of how to involve children) helps the parents and children not only feel valued but encourages them to connect with God as a family. Tom and Laura are older than Jeremy and I, their children grown, are grandparents 3 times over,and yet they haven’t stopped teaching, loving and being involved in the lives of children in the church. They don’t teach children’s Sunday School and they don’t volunteer in the nursery, they model behavior of living worship and teach children and the parents of children to do the same. The older teaching the younger. The family of God being the family of God. I believe this is very much what Christ wants to see.



Sadly, this isn’t always the case. I know parents that have given up going to church because this isn’t demonstrated. I’ve heard everything: they can’t bear the looks of others towards them and their “unruly” children (oddly enough, the rest of the week they seem like OK kids), they can’t stop their children from being kids, they don’t get anything out of the gathering times anyway and neither do their kids or anyone else around them, because every time they put their child in the nursery they get sick, because the child screams when being left for Sunday School, because they don’t have enough time as a family as it is and church feels like anything but time together as a family, because the service times conflict with nap time and no matter what, their child is going to have a tough time, because they just don’t have the energy to do it any more, and because they feel all alone. The parents that do stick it out, specially the single ones, are amazing, yes, (and probably from a very churched background) but how long do we say that parents have had to struggle with this for years and have managed, why can’t they? We are willing to re-evaluate our worship styles, our teaching styles, our small group ministries, and so much more including how to make the children’s programs cool but we aren’t willing to say “this isn’t good enough?” Churches all over love to say that they want to be a “New Testament Church” or modeled after the “Early Church” but not much has been done to understand how that would effect the way we minister and involve our children. I seriously doubt that in the days of secret church meetings children were sent into another part of the catacombs or house during the time of gathering together- parents couldn’t take that risk. (I have no proof of this and haven't studied it at all it's really just a hunch based on what little I do know about families in that time and the culture of the early church- I'll have to do more research.) So what would this look like and how can we apply it to today or should we even? It seems most of us agree that the Easter Morning breakfast isn’t the right tool to teach service (THANK YOU!) but what about worship? The question about appropriate age is a struggle. Personally, I have a problem with saying that my child needs to be able to sit still long enough first- if that’s the case, she’ll know her ABC’s before she’s really learned anything about God and worshiping Him with God’s people. I really would hate for my child to have a closer relationship with Barney, Big Bird, and Bob the Tomato than with Christ because they’re not old enough for Him yet.



By the way, I didn't just miss our girls yesterday, I missed worshiping with them.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jess - sounds like you had quite a weekend. Glad you are back safely.

I'd love to know specifics about how the row in front of you engaged the child in worship. What age was the child? As I sit with my grandchildren in church, I sure could use some ideas!! I'm no Laura and Tom, that's for sure!

Monday, August 22, 2005 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I think my next post will go more into the "how" we can do this so that we're talking about more than a theory or "wouldn't it be nice if..."

I'm posting two comments that were emailed to me but I thought should be included here. They are below:

Monday, August 22, 2005 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Hi Jeremy and Jessica,
I enjoy reading what you post (always love the photos of everyone) and thought I would reply here, since it is more private. As you remember, Jeremy, we took you kids to church and worship with us back in France. We believed that children can have their own worship experiences along with the more serious adults. That is how children learn too! True, I always worked hard to have the sermons kept on a simple level so that children and non-French could understand. Didn't always work, but for the most part we thought it did. At later dates we had the children leave for their own time of learning during the sermon. Their attention spans are very short and they do need to get up and move and have fun more frequently than most churches provide in the 1 - 1 1/2 hour worship time. So parents have to provide for their kids and engage them. I remember drawing sketches of the sermon for Joel when he was 2-3. It was rather cartoon style but he seemed to understand better when I sketched the visual for what was being said in the sermon.

BUT, I also got to the point where I no longer wanted to hear long sermons! For all kinds of reasons. The first was: If you can't say it in 15-20 mintues then you still won't be able to say in in an hour. You simply are not organized! The purpose of a sermon is not to substitute for an in depth Bible Study, but to stimulate us back to God! I fear many preachers get up there and are on an ego trip and really get a high from being in front. Most of us fully sense that kind of preacher and can't wait to get out of church. Bigger is NOT better when it comes to sermons. The whole point of church and worship is NOT the sermon, but I fear far too many churches and preachers practice this! Worship takes place even without a sermon!!!! or despite a sermon!

love, prayers, and BIG hugs,

Daddy

Monday, August 22, 2005 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Quote:
“Nobody would really argue that the parents (Christian ones anyway) are ultimately responsible for the faith education of their children but I would have to argue that we rarely hold them accountable to that beyond the occasional “parenting sermon series” and the annual pat on the back at Sunday School promotion (great job parents- you sent your kids to Sunday School!) or summer camp presentation…”

who is the “we” that is responsible for not holding parents accountable?

Quote:
“I have heard it argued that we can’t trust the parents to teach their children correct doctrine.”

or correctly about sex or about their origin – so the schools will do it (for the parents)

Quote:
“I wonder if the church would have to be so worried about this if they were truly teaching the Scriptures to the adults.”

This is a societal illness that the church has followed

A couple of thoughts:
1) When children are brought into church at a young age and are sat in the back pews (where they are distracted by everyone between the pastor and them) and are given something to color or connect the dots (this helps keep them still and quiet) and must endure a sermon that they cannot comprehend or relate to, we teach them to separate themselves mentally (color or draw or day dream). We tend to outgrow the coloring in church as we age but there seem to be many adults that switch to the daydream mode once the pastor begins the sermon.

2) I personally advocate a nursery for children under 2 that are restless and cry a lot. After that bring your kids to church (after all, how much time do we really spend together as a family these days?), sit up front so they feel like the pastor is talking to them and model for them what appropriate worship looks like (sing, clap, pray, stand, sit, smile and offer an occasional amen). Show them the importance of worship by example (prepare yourself for worship, prepare yourself for communion, prepare yourself to be in a holy place in the presence of a holy God). Show love for your Christian neighbors (even the ones you’re learning how to like). Meet those you don’t know as if they really mattered to Jesus.

Very good reading!
David Glaser

Monday, August 22, 2005 11:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read a great (short) article about exactly what we're talking about this morning - I think you may like it. It has some really practical suggestions about how parents can involve children during worship gatherings.

Read it here.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 10:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the "Squeeze my finger" idea. I wish the article had more than that, though, because children may get bored with that one way.

Many churches today aren't saying the creeds, or they say them in a different way each week or even sing them, so that idea would only work for churches that say the same thing each week. I have noticed that my grandson who is almost five has started joining in on the Apostles' and Nicene Creed. My granddaughter (3 and a half) still is oblivious to much that is going on around her in worship. They started taking her to worship when she was almost three.

I noticed the article said something about following along during the hymns with your finger on the words in the hymnal. That one is pretty obvious to me ... but it does bring up that the author is talking about children that are at least beginning to learn to read. So what age children are the rest of you talking about?

I really don't believe that most people are critical of children singing ... LOUD ... off beat or off key. It is during the teaching time of a worship service when I believe parents need to be aware of their children if they are being disruptive.

Finally, removing a disruptive child from any setting, worship included, doesn't indicate to me that they are embarrassed by their child. It indicates to me that the parents are being courteous to people around them and they are being a teaching parent, using that time of removal to talk to their child about their disruptive behavior. Sometimes when I'm at a movie or such, there are adults around me talking all the way through the show or taking cell phone calls. I have even sat near adults in church who have difficulty not being disruptive. I can't help but think that their parents never taught them common courtesy. So, during worship, we have an opportunity to not only teach about worshiping our God, but also to teach how to be thoughtful of others in all of life's situations. As Jessica said before, this is hard work, but we need to get off our behinds and do it! Our children will be the winners if we do!

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks for the article Bill, I thought he had some very good ideas. I really appreciated what He said about our children having a great capacity for learning beyond what we think they are ready to learn.

Actually Karen, much of what I've been talking about I think applies to children of all ages. For example, following along with the words for songs using the finger technique(if your church uses hymnals this works, ours doesn't, everything is on a screen but it does work for Scripture)is wonderful. We learn a new Bible verse every week as a family (they're pretty simple ones right now) and Lavinia and Helena, who don't yet read, both have the job of using their fingers to point to the words as we read them. They get of track easily but the more we practice the better they get. We've discovered that this helps them pay attention, gives them a sense of contribution to the learning process, and is teaching them basic concepts about print and reading all while learning God's Word. My sister is another example. She started reading very early because of sitting next to my mom in family Bible Study times and at church with my mom guiding her finger along under the words. I don't think any of us will forget the day when she was 3 years old and blurted out a word that we hadn't even come to.

i have more to say but i'll come back to it later. great conversation, i hope to hear more.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask, and you shall receive! I just found another article - this one is a bit more extensive, written by one of my heros in the faith - John Piper, along with his wife Noel. It gives a greater amount of suggestions, including some ideas for children of different ages.

Take a few minutes to read through it - I think it's excellent. Here it is.

I think the earlier we can get children actively involved in worship with the community of faith, the better. Karen is right though - it's hard work and will take both the parents and the rest of the church giving it their all. (But after all, this is what we promise in our child dedications (or at the child's baptism for those of the paedobaptist persuasion). As churches, we need to call ourselves to follow through in this vital and urgent responsibility, lest the commitment we made to these children as parents and as a community become a bunch of hollow words.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 4:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, that is an excellent article!! What wonderful ideas - I will try using some of those when we have our grandkids with us and I think I may send it to Steve & Jamie, too! I think they are doing a lot of good things with their kids during worship, but I especially like that this is a pastor's wife speaking about working with her kids without a dad to help most of the time! Jamie will identify with that!

I also appreciate her goals: "My training for worship has three main goals:
1. That children learn early and as well as they can to worship God heartily.
2. That parents be able to worship.
3. That families cause no distraction to the people around them."

These are balanced between the needs of the child, the parents and other worshipers.

Thanks for sharing this article, Bill!

Karen Wiechman

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 11:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With respect to the person who mailed in the comments above about the duration of the sermon, it should be noted that most of the biblical "sermons" can be read in just a few minutes.

Also noteworthy is the mandate in 1 Cor 14 for several to speak. This would greatly reduce any temptation to become bored or restless.

In the NT, children are directly addressed. Surely they can be addressed in the meetings as well. Godspeed!

House Church Network

Sunday, September 25, 2005 10:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home