.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

ON OUR FACES- an ongoing worship discussion

"The god's we worship write their names on our faces, be sure of that. And a man will worship something-have no doubt of that, either. He may think that his tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of his heart- but it will out. That which dominates will determine his life and character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

Refuse to accept the status quo. I challenge everything. It is important to me that I understand why I do what I do and I'll challenge everyone else too because that is how I learn. Christ-follower, student, teacher, artist, musician, mother, wife, daughter, friend, home-schooler, doula, home-birther, knitter, abuse survivor, advocate of women, children, families and peace, I value relationships more than anything in this life. There is room for my life for my passions for birth, music, lit., nature, art, dance, knitting, cooking, Scripture, film, theology, philosophy, writing, and loving my family. I know I don't have all the answers and I'm willing to listen, I don't argue for the sake of arguing or to win but I am passionate and opinionated while being open to change. Wrap all that up and then some and serve it with a cup of coffee, a glass of wine and some chocolate and that's a little bit of who I am. Just an ordinary woman in my every day rebellious ways.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Crazy

by Jessica



This past week has passed in a blur and I've been sick and exhausted.



Last week, in the midst of the immediate (which lasted for a while) aftermath of Katrina I heard a few sentiments expressed regarding the chance to rebuild New Orleans now "without all the sin." I even heard a few people hint at this being the punishment or "God's way of dealing" for New Orleans. I must admit to a laugh out loud when I saw that Burbon Street and the area around it has made it through quite well actually- oh the irony. But what do you think? Do you think it's possible that God sent this storm to take care of New Orleans because of the city's reputation for sin? If you do, how do you explain the number of areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina that could be described as just the opposite of New Orleans if nothing else? And then, how does this impact the churches response to the needs that have arisen as a result of the storm and the devastation she left?



And I'm still planning on posting on worship in the midst of pain- seems even more appropriate now. Yesterday I had the privalidge to serve in an area shelter and hear some of the stories. If you haven't spent any time with the evacuees, you need to know that these people are amazing. I'm looking forward to spending more time with them and helping however I can this week- I'll be volunteering at the Relient Center. I'll post as I can but for now let me just say that I've been convicted and challenged by their response. Wow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm a city without sin...a nation built on purpose...DOES ANYONE READ THE BIBLE ANYMORE!

I thought New Orleans was pretty awesome, sin and all, when Bill and I were there 2 years ago for our Honeymoon! We went online and our hotel (The W) is out of commission till late October and who knows what remains of some of our favorite Jazz spots on Burbon St. (tear)

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home